Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Enhancement request - faulty decoding 'bit' per packet/session

From: Yaniv Kaul <ykaul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:42:26 +0200
I'd be happy if there could be such a feature, that if for some reason the parser cannot completely parse the packet, it would raise some flag.
This, in turn, will allow us to perhaps color the packet differently.
I think there should be two types of flags - fatal and non fatal.

Examples:
1. The length of a string in protocol ABC is X, but the string itself is longer/shorter - fatal. 2. The value of parameter Y in protocol ABC should be 0-5, but it's 6 - non fatal.

It'd be nice to have an infrastructure for it, so dissectors writers could take advantage of it.