Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SIP: selected packet bytes (resend with patch attached)

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:00:28 -0800 (PST)
Martin Mathieson said:
> The tree view of a SIP packet looks something like this.
>
> Session Initiation Protocol
>         Request-Line
>         Message Header
>         Message Body
>                 Session Description Protocol
>

> When you select the top level tree (i.e. Session Initiation Protocol),
> only the bytes as far as the header are selected below.  It seems more
> logical to include the whole packet here (1-line patch attached). The
> behaviour may date back to when SDP and other message bodies used to
> appear as a separate top-level tree.

It probably does.  I've checked the patch in.

Currently, it appears that the ISUP dissector puts the SDP message body
under the ISUP tree, rather than into a tree of its own, but the RTSP,
SAP, and MGCP dissector look as if they put the SDP message body at the
top level (I *think* the Megaco dissector might put the body under the
Megaco tree).

Should *all* dissectors for protocols that have SDP bodies put the SDP
body under the tree for that protocol, rather than into a top-level tree
of its own?