Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Next release (GTK2 drawbacks)

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:16:41 +0100
"Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 18.02.04 10:41:38:

> I compile ethereal myself for both myself and colleagues in my organization
> so whether Gtk1 or 2 is used is by the precompiled distribution not very
> important to me,
>
> however, there are two main reaons I dont use Gtk2 myself or why some of my
> colleagues do no like it:
> 1, Gtk2 is much slower than Gtk1. Or at least used to be. Have not found any
> need to retest it recently but it might have changed.
> I often work with 500MByte+ captures and even 10% performance difference is
> noticeable.

1. Did you checked this, after the performance improvements were done (some weeks ago)?
This significantly improved especially the GTK2 performance.

> 2, Gtk2 seems to have MUCH huger spacing between the lines, especially in
> the dissect pane. This adds up to a LOT of lost real estate on the screen.
> Can the spacing between the lines in the dissect pane be reduced?

2. I just don't know if this can be improved. Didn't had a look at this, but I know what you mean.

Regards, ULFL
Extra-Konto: 2,50 %* Zinsen p. a. ab dem ersten Euro! Nur hier mit 25
Euro-Tankgutschein & ExtraPrämie! https://extrakonto.web.de/?mc=021110