Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] RFC: add support for multiple open captures

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:08:52 +0100
Hi list,

As I understood from some mails on the list, some people are looking for
development work :) I think one big accomplishment would be to support
multiple open captures. This will require a rethink of the global variables
used throughout the code. (maybe we want a file declaring all global
variables for *any* Ethereal UI, or say the Ethereal core).

Also, we may want to invest some time in evaluating whether we could make
the protocol dissectors multithreading-safe (which is not the case today as
many protocol dissectors track state with global and/or local static
variables). This of course *if* we require the dissection library to be
MT-safe (which we may want to do if we support multiple files).

As a minimum we should describe the current status of Ethereal, and then
come up with a ToDo list based on this state.

Looks useful? Looks feasible?

Regards,

Olivier