Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Before releasing: still a bug in WIN32 GTK1libraries!

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:44:52 +0100
Martin Regner wrote:

Andreas Sikkema wrote:
Ulf Lamping wrote:

Lastest Win32 GTK1 seems to have a bug for quite a while now, that won't
show up the child directories in the file selector under some
circumstances,
when navigating to the toplevel dir.
That bug was confirmed by someone else on the list before.
I can confirm this as well.

I have tried to look into this a bit more today.

It seems that when I press the C:\ directory in the File-dialogue then the
ethereal icon "start in:" directory is shown
instead of the C:\ directory (e.g. the mib-directory). However I don't
understand why.
I can then normally use the "..\" entry to get to the correct directory, but
this is of coures not so good.

I also noticed that if I want to specify C:\ as the directory to start up in
"Always start up in directory"
from Edit/Preferences.../User Interface I need to specify it as "C:\\" (if I
specify it as "C:\" the file dialogue will use the ethereal icon "start in:"
directory instead).

It seems that I can get everything to work quite well if I set the start-in
directory to "C:\\" by changing Properties by right-clicking
on the Ethereal icon.
Then it seems to work well both for the scenario when using "Always start up
in directory .." and "Remember last directory".
When I select "C:\" I really get the C:\ directory.

I tested this on Windows XP.
I got some interesting new insights from your mail.

It seems to be a problem what the "drop down list" / "Selection:" is shown:

If it's shown "C:" is doesn't work, if it's shown "C:\" it's ok.

The problem is: if you click on one of the drive letters, it's only "sometimes" the wrong string used.

Nonetheless: that's not implemented inside Ethereal but in the GTK libs, so we cannot change this in the Ethereal code.

A completely different thing is the string that has to be used in the preferences field.

Regards, ULFL