Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Proposal: Menu structure for protocol specific things

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:44:24 +0100
Hi List!

The protocol specific menuitems are currently "unsorted" and placed somewhere under "Analyze"

The following items are currently available, the first few are generic, the others protocol dependant:

   * Summary
   * Protocol Hierarchy Statistics
   * IO -> IO-Stat

   * TCP Stream Analysis
   * Folow TCP Stream
   * ANSI A-Interface -> BSMAP
   * ANSI A-Interface -> DTAP
   * ANSI MAP Operation
   * Watch protocol -> BOOTP-DHCP
   * Watch protocol -> ITU-T H.225
   * Watch protocol -> HTTP
   * Watch protocol -> WAP-WSP
   * Service Response Time -> DCE-RPC
   * Service Response Time -> Fibre Channel
   * Service Response Time -> ITU-T H.225 RAS
   * Service Response Time -> LDAP
   * Service Response Time -> MGCP
   * Service Response Time -> ONC-RPC
   * Service Response Time -> SMB
   * Conversation List -> Ethernet
   * Conversation List -> Fibre Channel
   * Conversation List -> FDDI
   * Conversation List -> IPv4
   * Conversation List -> IPX
   * Conversation List -> TCP (IPv4 IPv6)
   * Conversation List -> Token Ring
   * Conversation List -> UDP (IPv4 IPv6)
   * GSM A-Interface -> BSSMAP
   * GSM A-Interface -> DTAP -> *** 7 items ***
   * GSM MAP Operation
   * ISUP Message Type
   * ONC-RPC -> Programs
   * RTP Streams -> Analyse
   * RTP Streams -> Show All (with Save, Mark Frames, ...)

I would think, it would be much better to sort this by protocol name and not by functionality.

When starting an analyzation, I have a protocol in mind, not a statistical function to apply on that.

I might be an idea to sort this by protocol layer, so the following would be a lot better IMHO
(sorted by ISO-layer, then in alphabetical order):

   * Summary
   * Hierarchy Statistics
   * IO Statistics
   * --------------------
   * Ethernet -> Conversation List
   * FDDI -> Conversation List
   * Fibre Channel -> Conversation List
   * Fibre Channel -> Service Response Time
   * Token Ring -> Conversation List
   * --------------------
   * BOOTP-DHCP -> Watch protocol
   * IP -> Conversation List (IPVv4)
   * IPX -> Conversation List
   * --------------------
   * TCP -> Conversation List (IPv4 IPv6)
   * TCP -> Stream Analysis
   * TCP -> Follow Stream
   * UDP -> Conversation List (IPv4 IPv6)
   * --------------------
   * ANSI -> A-Interface BSMAP
   * ANSI -> A-Interface DTAP
   * ANSI -> MAP Operation
   * DCE-RPC -> Service Response Time
   * GSM -> A-Interface BSSMAP
   * GSM -> A-Interface DTAP -> *** 7 items ***
   * GSM -> MAP Operation
   * HTTP -> Watch protocol
   * ISUP Message Type
   * ITU-T H.225 -> Watch protocol
   * ITU-T H.225 -> RAS -> Service Response Time
   * LDAP -> Service Response Time
   * MGCP -> Service Response Time
   * ONC-RPC -> Service Response Time
   * ONC-RPC -> Programs
   * RTP Streams -> Analyse
   * RTP Streams -> Show All (with Save, Mark Frames, ...)
   * SMB -> Service Response Time
   * WAP-WSP -> Watch protocol

As I just don't know all protocols, just give me a tip where a protocol is located in the ISO layers correctly.

Is this the right direction to think about any further?

Regards, ULFL