Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SoulSeek Dissector breaks MSVC build

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:37:36 -0800

On 2004-02-12T13:01:46-0800, Guy Harris wrote:
Checked in, with a change to use "tvb_memdup()" to make a copy of the
compressed data (so that, if not all the data is present, an exception
is thrown before anything is allocated).

Is that copy required?

On x86, IMHO it isn't. On other platforms, I'm not sure. Pointer
alignment?

As far as I know, the buffer handed to "uncompress()" isn't required to be aligned - it's just a sequence of bytes.

Byte ordering?

It's just a sequence of bytes, so that shouldn't matter - and copying it wouldn't help in any case.

Are the tvb guaranteed to be contiguous?

"tvb_get_ptr()" returns a pointer to a contiguous chunk of data with the specified length.