Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Deactivate "Apply" button if the display filter is not valid?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:08:42 -0800

On Feb 10, 2004, at 1:05 PM, Olivier Biot wrote:

I am afraid that adding this to Ethereal today will require serious
work and probably we'll need *ugh* global variables to implement this,
since I only see filter_te_syntax_check_cb() in gtk/filter_prefs.c as
entry point. Actually, that seems to be the place where the display
filter is checked for validity and the color of the widget updated.
This is implemented in a "stateless" manner today, and I don't know if
the call-back allows for state since there's only the GtkWidget
pointer as parameter...

"OBJECT_GET_DATA()", "OBJECT_SET_DATA()", and the underlying functions they call let you attach an arbitrary amount of state to a widget; we could attach to the text entry widget a pointer to the "Apply" button widget, if there is one (if there isn't, "OBJECT_GET_DATA()" would return a null pointer, in which case there's no button whose state should be changed).