Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] The save capture file warning comes up for an empty capture

From: Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:54:17 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> > Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > >If you start a capture, and then go quit, the save capture file dialog box
> > >comes up even if you have not managed to capture any packets.
> > >
> > >This seems wrong. We should check the number of packets.
> > Did you checked the latest CVS?
>
> OK, I am not sure I was working with the latest CVS. I will check.

Well, now I am sure. The latest CVS still has this problem.

> > I had made a change: if no packets could be captured, the capture file
> > is immediately closed again.
> >
> > So the situation you describe should never happen!
> >
> > What did you *exactly* and what dialog comes up?

OK, I did:

1. Start Ethereal on FreeBSD and click Capture-->Start

2. Ethered a capture filter that ensures no packets are captured

3. Clicked OK.

4. Waited a few seconds and then clicked Stop on the progress window.

5. Click File-->Quit

6. Up comes the Warning dialog box with Save Capture file before quit
message.

Regards
-----