Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] fixes for nsis-installer script and makefile

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:39:40 +0100
From: Guy Harris

| I think there was some discussion as to what version numbers
| the Ethereal executable image name should reflect.
|
| Was it concluded that the image name should include "2"
| if Ethereal was built for GTK+ 2.x?
|
| And, if we make GTK+ 2.x rather than 1.3[.x] the standard
| version for Ethereal builds at some point, should the Ethereal
| executable still have that "2" in its name?

How about calling the graphical tool "ethereal" and add a
GUI-specific suffix to the binary:
- ethereal-gtk1
- ethereal-gtk2
- ethereal-win32 (for the future native Win32 UI)

We can still symlink on *NIX and create a named shortcut
in Windows that points to the default graphical tool.

This will be much more consistent, and simple to
explain/understand/maintain/extend.

Regards,

Olivier