Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Different behaviour for display filter dialog, if called from

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:06:15 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 03:49:43PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:
I'm just wondering, if theres a reason why the Display Filter dialog is acting differently, when called from menu or from statusbar button:

Yes:

From "Analyze->Display Filter" menu: Titled: "Ethereal: Edit Display Filter List" with *no* OK and Apply buttons.

When called from the menu, there's no filter field with which it's
associated, so there's no filter field to which to apply it.

From statusbar "Filter:" button: Titled: "Ethereal: Display Filter" with OK and Apply buttons.

When called from the "Filter:" button, it's associated with the filter
field next to that button, so "Apply" sets that field to the specified
filter and refilters, and "OK" does the same and closes the window.

If there's a menu item to call up that dialog box, and it associates the
dialog with the filter field at the bottom of the window, it should
probably be called just "Analyze->Filter" or "Analyze->Filter Display"
or even "View->Filter" or "View->Filter Display", as it lets you filter
the display, rather than only being able to edit your list of filters.

I didn't meant: if theres a reason of the current behaviour, but more: Is this behaviour intuitive to use?

It's not very intuitive IMHO for a user to get two dialogs looking quite similar, but with one you can change the display with "OK" or "Apply" buttons, with the other not. This behaviour is often reported to me as confusing by some users.

Well, I've already checked in a change to this, unified the behaviour of the three ways to start the dialog. It will now act like the "Filter:" button in the statusbar, and will put the filter string at the text entry field in the statusbar.

I changed the three titles to be "Ethereal: Display Filter", regardless from where it's called.

IMHO we don't need to change the menu item name, "Analyze->Display Filter" is the way it should be called.

Regards, ULFL