Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Redesign of the WHOLE Ethereal main menu structure

From: "Ronnie Sahlberg" <ronnie_sahlberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:09:40 +1100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ulf Lamping"
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2003 5:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Redesign of the WHOLE Ethereal main menu
structure

> a. I'm curious: Is it usual for a GUI application, to have a man page
> about the GUI elements, especially if a help system is available?

Yes. Almost all GUI applications I have come with man pages.
This is true for all but one of the many many platforms where ethereal is
supported.

> b. Win32 users usually cannot access the man page :-(, so no help about
> the menu is available!
> I'm using Ethereal for about 4 years, and didn't expect and even know
> that the man pages are describing the menu.

Windows is only one of many many platforms that ethereal is suported on.

The man pages are still converted to HTML as well which the windows users
can access.

They can access the manpage if they upgrade to cygwin.
A serious user of ethereal/tethereal oin windows already have cygwin
installed already since you just can not
script any advanced features with a non unix shell anyway.

> c. Wouldn't it be a good idea to move at least the menu information from
> the man pages into the online help system?

Move NO. Copy yes.
Move sounds like changing it into an online system only and getting rid of
the man page.

An online system (such as the already existing HTML page) IN ADDITION to the
man page
would be useful.

BTW whats wrong with the html page containing the same infor as the manpage?