Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] \t conversion (possible bug)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:56:57 -0800
On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 04:47:30PM -0500, Jeeva Chelladhurai wrote:
> The embedded "\t" in the TELNET data (Eg. "State\t Copy") gets converted to
> tab space on WINDOWz version but on unix (linux and solaris) it appears as
> "\t". Is there any way I can force unix version to convert "\t" to tab
> space?

No.

The bug is that the *Windows* version displays it as a tab; the
dissector is intended to display tabs in Telnet data as "\t", not as a
tab character.  (The primary intent of the displayed data in Ethereal,
and the output of "tethereal -V", is that it be read by humans; scripts
will have to compensate for that.)