Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bug: ethereal doesn't display all data when just one packe

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:00:05 -0800 (PST)
> When ethereal tries to decode a packet containing NFS data, and there is
> on only one packet in the trace, it does not display any of the RPC or
> NFS data.  It does display the IP and UDP data.

If the packet is a reply rather than a request, it *can't* display the
NFS data - ONC RPC replies don't include any indication of the type of
request to which it's a reply.

The heuristic used to determine whether a packet is an ONC RPC packet
also can't detect replies without knowing the transaction ID of the
matching request.

> I was trying to analyze a VMS trace that contains only one packet.
> Ethereal would let me expand all of the layers through the UDP layer,
> but would not expand the RPC or NFS layers.  If I added a second packet
> to the trace, both packets could be expanded.

An *arbitrary* packet?  Or is the one packet a reply, and the added
packet the matching request?