Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] NDMP patch 2

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 18:02:15 -0800 (PST)
> (this will be fun. i am not aware of any of the other analyzers being
> capable of reassembly.

I think I saw something in the documentation for a Sniffer (classic
DOS-based) that I interpreted as meaning it did reassembly, but I
haven't seen it in action.

The SMS 2.0 version of Network Monitor has a way of "recombining
frames":

	About Coalesced Frames

	The Protocol Coalesce Tool is an expert that merges data from
	frames that are part of the same transaction.  A portion of data
	sent from one computer can be split into several smaller
	fragments to be sent over the wire and reassembled at the
	destination.  The Protocol Coalesce Tool provides a way to
	recombine frames.

	When the Protocol Coalesce Tool encounters frames that contain
	fragments from the same transaction, it recombines these
	fragments into a single frame.  The new coalesced frame contains
	header information - such as which frames from the original
	capture file were used to create the coalesced frame - and the
	combined data of the frame fragments.

	The coalesced frame is placed in a new coalesced capture file,
	or if the expert was run from the right-click menu, the
	coalesced frame is inserted into the original capture file.

but either I didn't use it correctly, or it doesn't do the sort of
reassembly we do (I couldn't get it to, for example, handle SMB requests
that required multiple TCP segments, but perhaps I tried it on a file
where not all of the frame data was saved).