Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] too many preferences

From: Jeff Foster <jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:02:47 -0500
From: Guy Harris [mailto:gharris@xxxxxxxxx]

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 05:27:58PM +0200, Dr. Uwe Girlich wrote:
> > I just added 3 more protocols with preferences. Now it is only possible
to use
> > the preferences notebook-dialog on a >=1024 pixels wide screen. How can
we
> > change this behaviour (probably with multiple layers of notebook-tabs)?
>
> Perhaps it's time to use a scrollable list of protocols, and have
> double-clicking the list entry or clicking a "Properties" button pop up
> a dialog box for the protocol's properties.

I like the scrollable list idea.

>  That would let us put a "Save" button into the dialog box for a
> protocol's properties; if we have a directory for protocol preferences,
> and put the preferences for each protocol into a separate file, that'd
> let you make persistent the current settings for one protocol without
> making persistent *all* the current preference settings (both protocol
> and non-protocol).

This would have to be intuitive to the end users. We don't want users
to click a "Save" button and think all setting were updates. I would also
like a global "Save".  Maybe the best way is to have a "Protocol" tab on
the current preferences configuration and put the scroll list there. Then
each protocol could have the "Save" button for it's preferences and the
current preferences "Save" button would save all preferences.

Jeff Foster
jfoste@xxxxxxxxxxxx