Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] IP Fix and SSDP support

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:02:20 -0800
guy> On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 06:32:15PM -0800, dhampton@xxxxxxx wrote:
guy> > Attached are changes that add SSDP and other tweaks to the HTTP code,
guy> > and a change that fixes pure IP packets to display properly (they
guy> > display as raw Ethernet packets for me.)
guy>
guy> What is a "pure IP packet"?

To state it a different way, its any packet that isn't decoded at any
layer above IP.  Take any protocol trace and turn off the decoding of
TCP and UDP and you should just see IP packets.

guy> The code in version 1.115 of "packet-ip.c" already sets the Protocol
guy> column before that point in the code; I'm extremely skeptical that
guy> adding those two lines would affect anything.

You're right.  The version of Ethereal I started working with didn't
have the code you mention.  I didn't notice the addition when patching
from the RPM sources to the CVS sources.  My change isn't necessary on
the current source base.

David