Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Add enterprise-specific options to Extended PDU protocol hea

From: Anders Broman <a.broman58@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 12:15:46 -0400

My first thought would be to keep it simple and use a tag per address. Plenty of tag namespace.

Den tors 20 juni 2024 11:35Mauro Levra <Mauro.Levra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> skrev:
> Instead of dedicating a bit to the enterprise flag, we could also
> define a specific tag for the IANA-PEN, then the enterprise number
> itself followed by its private payload. This way we keep the full
> range of value tags at the cost of 2 extra bytes per packet.

Thank you, Pascal, for the suggestion, it is a huge improvement on my previous proposal.

> Not against the suggestion per se  but isn't it better that you write
> an MR including the new tags you need so that Wireshark can read your
> files?

Yes, Anders, it is better.
Today, I am only interested in adding the ECGI (E-UTRAN Cell Global Identifier), but reserving it a whole tag sounds a little shortsighted.
I am thinking about an "LTE identities" tag with a dynamic structure inside, and I wonder: what is your opinion on nesting TLV structures?

Regards,

Mauro