Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Changes to the plugin registration API

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:16:59 +0100
I do not think we need to revert the whole change. I actually like the way the new version check is implemented and think it is beneficial to a lot of users, because it will reduce the number of changes they have to make in order to update their version.

But I do think the enforcement of licenses is a too strict reading of GPL v2. Overmore it is a major change, and I think it should be avoided as it will kill a lot of legitimate use-cases for Wireshark. I understand that we need to be as open as possible, but this is actually killing the openess instead of helping it.

As much as it pains us, we must allow corporate users to maintain their own plugin and manage it with future versions of Wireshark. Everything else is not in the best interest of the application.

Just my 2 cents

Roland

Am Mo., 4. Dez. 2023 um 13:12 Uhr schrieb Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
João Valverde <j@xxxxxx> ezt írta (időpont: 2023. dec. 4., H, 12:59):

> On 03/12/23 23:25, João Valverde wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There are some changes in progress to the plugin registration API that
> > break compatibility and require manual intervention from plugin
> > authors maintaining plugins out-of-tree. These changes are rather
> > minor and concern only plugin registration, not other APIs accessible
> > to plugins.
> >
> > See MR 13524:
> > https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/13524
> >
> > Changes required are rewriting the registration code (very easy to do
> > [1]) and declare (using a C enum) that the plugin is released either
> > under GPLv2 or later, or a GPLv2 compatible license. The other changes
> > to the ABI version number are
>
> The choice of the word "released" here was unfortunate, because it may
> imply distribution. Please consider "licensed" instead.
>
> The license declaration field just affirms what was already implicit:
> Wireshark plugins must use licensing terms compatible with the GPL
> version 2, so there is no policy change there.

GPL allows linking and using GPL-licensed software with
non-GPL-licensed software locally. This is an important use case of
many Wireshark users who do not wish releasing their plugins and your
change broke that. Please revert it.