Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Description of Wireshark User's Guide 4.3.0

From: Machiko Ichihashi <ichihashim@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 00:38:48 +0000

To whom it may concern,

My name is Machiko Ichihashi, and I work as an engineer in Japan.

I use Wireshark for my work, and I want to express my gratitude for its usefulness.

I would like to ask for an explanation of the specifications described in Wireshark User's Guide 4.3.0.

TCP Spurious Retransmission

https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChAdvTCPAnalysis.html

I would like to request a clarification regarding a specification mentioned in the Wireshark User's Guide 4.3.0.

In this section, the first condition states,

"The SYN or FIN flag is set."

Is this condition really necessary?

It seems that these packets should be required to be data packets, so I don’t think the SYN or FIN flags are necessary.

Could you please confirm this?

Regards,

Machiko Ichihashi/TOYO Corporation