Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Adding Deltatime to default columns

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 09:15:49 -0700
On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 8:38 AM Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to address a question that popped up recently. With the upcoming version 4.0 we have the chance to alter a few defaults. We already changed one thing, the default layout now arranges the Packet Detail pane side-by-side with the Byte View, both underneath the PacketList (layout option 2).
>
> But what came up was, that we add the "Delta time (displayed)" column as a default option after the "Time" column. The reason for that is, that a lot of people doing network analysis actually add that column as a first thing anyway when they start up the program and it makes therefore sense to have it as a default option. Before we do that, I just wanted to gather some opinions about that, therefore posting it here.

Indeed. I did that long ago, and generally don't need to think about
it any more. However, from time to time I run Wireshark on different
VMs and have to re-add it.

However, I am not sure it is worth burdening the majority of users
with a change they might not understand. I like it because it gives me
info on how quickly the client got the next request out but it might
not be something the majority of users are interested in.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe