Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Revisiting precedence of logical AND vs OR

From: João Valverde <j@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 01:25:04 +0100
Hi,

I removed the "parenthesis around && within ||" warning/suggestion in [1], then noticed the precedence of AND and OR is flipped from most programming languages, then found [2].

The consensus seemed to be in favor of being consistent with the rest of the world, but in the end it wasn't done.

Should AND have higher precedence than OR? I think so. This difference is almost certainly unintentional.

Regarding the warning it is too intrusive and a little bit obnoxious IMHO. But it could be redeemed with a different UI design. Also I find the wording somewhat confusing (which is easy enough to fix I suppose).

[1]https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/commit/431cb43b815d837f7ccd1dfba164ba0e758456a0
[2]https://marc.info/?l=wireshark-dev&m=137607388730659&w=2