Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] master 7f3d97c: Include the gnm dissecto

From: Anders Broman <a.broman58@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 08:31:51 +0200

Den 1 aug 2014 01:23 skrev "Guy Harris" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Jul 31, 2014, at 3:21 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The commit message there says it was removed because it was never used.
>
> "Never used" in what sense?
>
> Nobody ever read a capture file that used it?

I created the dissector while doing other ITU asn1 dissectors in the hope it would be useful, I have never seen a trace whit it or seen a bug report so I removed it from the makefile but left the files to give a grace period before removing it completely.

The same reasoning goes for the asn1 plugin. If it were to be still used ideally it should be rewritten to use the ber accessors. But I think we now provide adequate tools to convert asn1 documents to c dissectors obsoleted the plugin.
Regards
Anders