Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Is there a capture filter patterns guide ?

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 02:19:07 +0200
On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 06:54:06AM -0500, Thomas Stein wrote:
> There are various re-current, often used capture tasks.
> I could imagine that there already exists a guide which filter settings
> and interpretations are necessary for certains tasks.

Yes and no, I use ethereal everyday and use different filters
every day. There are however some filters I use frequently.
It's possible to save these in the filters dialogue box...

> Task 1: Which remote IPs are visited by local IP a.b.c.d

ip.addr==a.b.c.d

> Task 2: Which port scanning tries occur on port xxx

tcp.port == xxx or udp port == xxx
(it is not certain that a frame listed with this filter
is part of a port scan or just a specific try, but at
least you know which source tried to connect on that port)

> Task 3: Which other IPs communicate on CLASS B  192.168.*.*

ip.addr==192.168.0.0/16

> Ok I can start to write my own cooking recipe but why
> re-inventing the wheel?

Re-inventing the wheel is necessary, because every network
is different and every analysis has a different goal...

> I assume that these solution are described somewhere.
> However I didn't found it in the official manual.
> Does someone know a good web pages ?

Yes, there's a section on display-filters in the user's guide:
http://www.ethereal.com/docs/eug_html_chunked/ChWorkBuildDisplayFilterSection.html

... and also on the wiki: http://wiki.ethereal.com/DisplayFilters

If you have any nice filters, you can add them on the wiki so
that someone else does not have to re-invent the wheel :)

Hope this helps,  Cheers,    Sake

PS  If you want to use the filters as capture-filters, you have to use:

1) host a.b.c.d
2) port xxx
3) net 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0

More info on capturefilters: