Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] export in csv does not save details

From: Franz Mayer <f.mayer@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:30:13 +0200
> Franz Mayer wrote:
>
> > In my case I would like to export RTP and RTCP packets and I expected that
> > eclipse would export details like RTP timestamp, sequence number, etc.
>
> The key phrase there is "in my case" - a CSV mechanism shouldn't have
> those fields wired in.
>
> I.e., an "export packet details as CSV" mechanism should take a list of
> field names to export.

So, what function has "Packet Format" in the CSV-dialog? What should happen when I choose "Packet details: As displayed" ?

> What should happen if there's more than one instance of a field in a
> packet?  That's unlikely to happen with RTP fields, but if you have some
> form of tunneling with more than one layer of IPv4, if you're exporting
> the IPv4 source and destination address, should it export the upper layer,
> the lower layer, or both?  And what if the protocol is something running
> atop TCP, and a given link-layer frame has more than one packet for that
> protocol in it - should there be one CSV line per link-layer frame, or per
> higher-level packet?  Or what if a protocol has a header and a sequence of
> items in a packet, and it can have more than one item of a particular
> type, and the field being exported is one that appears in an item?

hmm... dunno.... anyway I don't have any insight of how it should be implemented, but I had assumed that the command Export > CSV with "Packet details: As displayed" would save the displayed details of each packet.

Regards, Franz