Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Filter rule deping on privious packet?

From: "David Meagher" <dmeagher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:42:32 +0000
as far as i understand - MATE - can be used to do this - just don't ask me how!
http://wiki.ethereal.com/Mate/

On 03/03/06, Guenther Lackner <guenther.lackner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
thanks for your fast reply!

Do you know if there is another Software tht could do this job for me?

regards
lacky

Guy Harris wrote:
> Guenther Lackner wrote:
>
>> I need a filter rule which filters out a packet depending if the
>> priviously captured packet does not contain a certain destination
>> address.
>>
>> Is there a possibility to do this with the ethereal filter rules?
>

> No - the Ethereal filter language is stateless, and an _expression_ can
> only test the values in a single packet, not values in previous packets.
>  (The same is true of the libpcap/WinPcap capture filter language.)

Günther Lackner
<Guenther.Lackner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Institute for Applied Information Processing and Communications,
Graz University of Technology,
Inffeldg. 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria
tel: +43 316 873-5501
fax: +43 316 873-5520