Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 250000 packets?

From: "michael butler" <butler615@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:36:04 -0600
But can someone tell me why my router/pc send so many packets to each other in such a short amount of time? I mean in just a minutes time I have hundreds and they are mostly source and destination of router/pc...

On 2/16/06, michael butler <butler615@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ha ha ha.... I don't know why I did'nt figure this out before. it is 98% my router and pc as scource/destination. now just need to know why my router and pc need to talk so much and I'll be home free.

On 2/15/06, David DuPre < david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey everybody, I am totally new to ethereal. I just ran a random capture last night before I went to bed to see what would > happen. When I got up it had capture almost 250000 packets in 6 hours. Now I was wondering is this normal for a cable

> modem? Or is my computer going crazy sending and receiving packets? I am on a cable modem with winXP.

I assumed each packet was full (1500), and that the traffic was all going in one direction.

250,000 packets * 1500 bytes = 375,000,000 bytes

375,000,000 bytes / 1024 = 366,211 K bytes

366,211 K Bytes / 1024 = 358 MB

If you download few big files you could do 358MB over 6 hours, but if the packets are smaller you wouldn't have to move so much data to reach 250,000 packets.  Think about that over time.   250,000 / 6 hours, then divide by 60 minutes, then by 60 seconds.

How many packets per second is it?  I calculate 11.57 packets per second.

Assume they are full packets.

1500 bytes * 12 = 18,000 bytes roughly 18K per second

I bet your cable modem can download much faster than that.

So I would say yes, that sounds normal.  To learn who was talking during that time you can use the "Conversations" from the menu.

Dig into the contents of the conversations to see what is being transferred.

David DuPre'
Executive Performance Engineering Consultant
HyPerformix Inc.
Office: 706-820-2252

2006 Application Performance Summit

May 8 & 9 - Austin, Texas.

Learn how to predict and prevent application performance and

capacity management problems before they impact your business.

Click here to learn more.