Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 70% ARP traffic + ICMP flood?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:24:08 +0100 (CET)
Hello,

>From what I understand of cable internet is that a virtual ethernet is
created among a whole group of CPE's sharing a single Head End. This to
limit the number of very small subnets to create, which wastes a lot of
IPv4 addresses (in short supply as you probably know). As you may also
know you're all in the same broadcast domain, hence the ARP's. Now the
number of ARP's is high, but more interestingly how many different nodes
are in your virtual etherenet? If this number is equally high, that means
you're all sharing a single Head End, which makes your effective
bandwidth go down the drain.

For the ICMP flood, that's probably a script kiddy trying out a tool it
doesn't understand. You won't believe the number of attack packets I get
from that part of the world :/. Makes you think hard about protection.

Hope it helps,
Jaap