Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Has anyone discovered a good PCMCIA NIC for Capturing 802.1Q He

From: "Joshua Marsh" <joshuamarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:08:38 -0700
I've been searching for a while and have not been able to find a card that will successfully view 802.1Q headers on XP.

I am currently on a Dell D600 running Windows XP w/ a Broadcom 570x, driver version 8.48, WinPcap 3.1, Ethereal 0.10.7.  I have tried adding the PreserveVlanInfoInRxPacket registry key with a value of 1 w/o luck as suggested on http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup/VLAN.  I am connected to a Cisco 3550 and have configured it as suggested on http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200507/msg00303.html.  I have also tried entering a capture filter "vlan" and "vlan 123," but I am still not getting the 802.1Q header info.

Assuming I'm not missing something obvious, it appears that the Broadcom is not able to pick up 802.1Q headers.  Has anybody had success doing this with any PCMCIA cards on XP?

Thanks,
Joshua