Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal doesn't capture local communication

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 01:24:37 -0800
Leo Jose wrote:

That information was very useful.
I have enabled Loopback Adapter on my machine.

What OS are you running?

If it's Windows, is that the Microsoft Loopback Adapter (or whatever they call it)?

I started Ethereal and selected the Loopback adapter and started the capture without setting any filters. I performed a ping on my own machine but noticed that nothing was being captured.

Did you *exactly* follow the *exact* steps on the Wiki page, including pinging the address assigned to the loopback adapter? Note that the Microsoft Loopback Adapter does *NOT* make it possible to capture *all* traffic going from your machine to itself.