Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Upgradation problem;Please Help

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:44:32 -0800
Arvind L wrote:

I upgraded from the older version of ethereal found on Fedora Core 2 to the one found on Fedora Core 3. The previous version worked correctly with FC2 but on FC3 the new update gives the error message: ethereal: symbol lookup error: ethereal: undefined symbol: pcap_lib_version

Upgrade your operating system to a version that has libpcap 0.9.1 or later. I guess FC3 has 0.9.1 or later, so, when they build Ethereal for FC3, that's presumably done *on* FC3, so the version of Ethereal they built assumes that it can call pcap_lib_version() to get a string giving the version number of libpcap.

(I.e., if you're running FC2, there's no guarantee that a package for FC3 will run; if you want to run a package for FC3, you might have to upgrade to FC3.)