Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Capture 802.11Q header on laptop

From: Mr mark ming <markh1289@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:02:44 -0800 (PST)
I asked about this 1 week ago.

I got some help from Broadcom which I haven't tried
yet.
It doesn't give full VLAN support to laptop (since
they don't support BASP (Broadcom Advanced Server
Program) on laptop) but is meant to stop stripping of
802.1Q header so Ethereal can see it.
This applies to BCM5751M NetXtreme Gigabit chips in
IBM T43 & HP laptops.

Response from Broadcom: There is a registry key under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SYSTEM-->CurrentControlSet that
will help you achieve what you are
looking for. You need to do the following:
1) You need to find the right instance of the driver
in the regedit.
You can do this as follow:

a) run regedit

b) search for For "TxCoalescingTicks" and ensure this
is the only
instance that you have

c) Right-click on the instance number (eg. 0008) and
add new string
value

d) Enter "PreserveVlanInfoInRxPacket" and give it
value "1"

This should set you up and be able to sniff the Vlan
tag information.

Regards, MH

http://farechase.yahoo.com