Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Protocol Analysis and Graphing

From: "Chris Miller" <cmiller@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:26:26 -0400

I am looking for an application to run on a Linux/BSD box that will listen passively to network traffic and collect statistics about the type of traffic being passed. I have a distribution router for a few hundred users, and a backbone router. The two are connected via Ethernet. I am going to connect them to a switch and mirror all traffic to one of the ports to another port for analysis. The load is well under 100Mbps (actually more like 3-4Mbps).

I want to collect data about the type of traffic so that I can put in place filters to rate limit some of the traffic we deem as “lower priority” (i.e. – p2p, file sharing, etc.). I would like to be able to generate graphs and reports on the types of traffic being passed over the network.

I would prefer this box be passive on the network and only collect data rather than have traffic route through it, that way if the box fails the network is unaffected. However, I am willing to place the box as a router simply routing data between the “distribution” and “backbone” routers.

Is this something Ethereal (perhaps with some modifications) can do? Is this something I can just run tcpdump and log the data to a file for analysis at a later time with some package? If so, what? I really don’t know where to start… thanks for input!

Thanks,

Chris Miller

6PS Corporation

www.6ps.com