Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Help Analysing Transaction

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:15:28 -0700
Jack Jackson wrote:

*.20 is unhappy, for no reason that I can see, unless it is because data was sent with the FIN. That is perfectly legal, but I don't think I have ever seen an actual example before.

...which means it might not be common, and thus there might be TCP implementations that don't handle it (which means they're buggy).

Likewise I have never seen data sent with SYN, which is also legal.

I have vague memories of having seen that when I was at Network Appliance - I think it was a Mac (running classic Mac OS) with a SMB/CIFS client (probably Dave) talking to one of our servers, which might not have been prepared for data with the initial SYN.