Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] tethereal performance questions

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:58:05 -0700
Joe Elliott wrote:

	I did some extensive testing with packet generators and collectors
on different platforms during a project our company did for NASA. The old
belief that FreeBSD is the best collection platform compared to Linux is
based on the old Linux 2.2 and 2.4 kernel.

Using kernel 2.6 the differences I measured were negligable. Its sad that
the early tests on 2.2/2.4 kernel based Linux that showed FreeBSD to be
superior will haunt it to its grave.

You might want to mention that to Luca Deri, then, so he can update his paper.