Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Intel pro/22oobg

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:47:34 -0700 (PDT)
Ulf Lamping wrote:

> What do you mean exactly by "doesnt work with this card"?

Yes.  Problems reported as "XXX doesn't work" are far harder to fix than
problems reported as "I tried to do XXX, and instead of working it did
YYY", because the latter type of report gives more information so we're
more likely to know what the problem is.

The other question to ask here is "what operating system are you using?"
If the answer is "Windows" for any problem reported with wireless capture,
the response at that point is "that's unfortunate" - Windows support for
wireless packet capture is *VERY* limited, largely due to

    1) driver inadequacies

and

    2) Windows inadequacies.

> If you just don't see any packets captured, try switch off promiscuous
> mode!

...as the FAQ indicates you should do, if this is for Windows:

    http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q5.39