Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal with Intel 2200BG

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:57:54 -0700
Max wrote:

I have searched for a way to get ethereal working with the Intel
2200BG under Windows!
I know there is a way to do it under Linux, but how to do it in Windows!!

I've no idea - the standard drivers for wireless adapters don't work very well with WinPcap. The problems are

1) there's no standard mechanism in Windows to turn on "monitor mode", so neither WinPcap nor applications using it can run the adapter in "monitor mode";

2) there's also no mechanism for providing 802.11 headers, so they can't supply non-data packets (without a hack);

3) the driver writers do a really bad job of supporting promiscuous mode (assuming the adapters do), so you might get *no* traffic in promiscuous mode, or you might only see incoming packets in promiscuous mode, not outgoing packets.

If you find anything out, please update the Windows section of

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup/WLAN