Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Sniff all packets in a subnet

From: "Tom Greaser" <tgreaser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:36:29 -0400
1: Guessing you tried to see what "google" searches people were doing..
and since you didnt see any.. and your traffic is getting to the
internet.
I will BET that your on a switch that is connected to a router..

2: One more time.. This is totaly possilbe to sniff an entire subnet!!!!
How.. not telling you exactly.. but ive done it a hundred times with my
linux / ethereal box
(plus other GPL stuff)

>>>starunj@xxxxxxxxx 10/07/05 6:02 pm >>>
Hi,

How are you confident that I am behind a switch and not a router? Is
there any way to find out?

Thanks,
Tarun

On 10/7/05, Breen Mullins <bmullins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 01:50 -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
>>Breen Mullins wrote:
>>
>>>You're almost certainly connected to a switch (which is
marketing-speak
>>>for a bridge),
>>
>>Really?
>
>Yes, really. What we call a switch (I do too...) is an instance of
>what the IEEE standard calls a 'transparent bridge'. It's the learning
>algorithm that allows the switch/bridge to make intelligent forwarding
>decisions which makes it a bridge.
>
>>I think of a bridge as a device that forwards all received
>>packets to those networks on the bridge, other than the one on which
the
>>packet came in on,
>
>No, that's more like a repeater -- IEEE-speak for a hub.
>

>>But, yes, Ethernet networks tend to be switched, these days, so A, B,
>>and C are probably plugged into a switch (perhaps with a router behind

>>the switch).
>>

>The original post refers to trying to sniff traffic in a dorm at Purdue

>University. As I said, it's absolutely certain that it's a switched
>network.
>
>Breen
>--
>Breen Mullins                      408-435-8401x123
>SQA Engineer                       0xde05499b
>Asante Technologies, Inc.

Ethereal-users mailing list
Ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx