Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Is ethereal the right software for me?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:20:50 -0700
Niklas Abrahamsson (KI/EAB) wrote:

What Im looking to do is to be able to get statistics on daily and
weekly usage of the network, for up and downlink distrubution of
protocols and port usage etc.

From what I've been able to read from the first pages of the ethereal
homepage this should be able to be done by the different filters availible.
What I haven't been able to understand is if it is possible to do
some  kind of batch processing of the large tcpdumpfiles I will get
(probably around 200mb files). Is this possible?

Not really with Ethereal - for batch processing, you probably want Tethereal.

Look at the "-z" flag (to run various statistics) and the "-q" flag (to suppress the printing of the per-packet information).