Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Sniff all packets in a subnet

From: Breen Mullins <bmullins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:59:14 -0700
On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 19:50 -0500, Tarun Siripurapu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess I misunderstood the meaning of being separated by a bridge /
> router. So consider the following topology:
>
> So, lets say the topology is like this:
>
> A, B and C are 3 machines connected to a single router. The router is
> connected to the Internet.

You're almost certainly connected to a switch (which is marketing-speak
for a bridge), but the principle is the same.

> Say I am A. Can I sniff packets going from B and C to the internet?
> Are A, B, and C considered to be separated by a router?

The three are separated by a switch. You can't sniff B's or C's traffic
for anything in the world except what they send you.

Some time with Google for the search phrase 'ethernet switch' will help
with the basics of switches.

The bottom-line answer is that you can't do what you want.

Breen
--
Breen Mullins                      408-435-8401x123
SQA Engineer                       0xde05499b