Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] cap file structure

From: Tony Lee <tony.p.lee@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:19:22 -0700
Another way is "man nc".

NC(1)                     BSD General Commands Manual                    NC(1)

NAME
     nc - arbitrary TCP and UDP connections and listens

SYNOPSIS
     nc [-e command] [-g intermediates] [-G hopcount] [-i interval] [-lnrtuvz]
        [-o filename] [-p source port] [-s ip address] [-w timeout] [hostname]
        [port[s...]]

DESCRIPTION
     The nc (or netcat) utility is used for just about anything under the sun
     involving TCP or UDP.  It can open TCP connections, send UDP packets,
     listen on arbitrary TCP and UDP ports, do port scanning, and source rout-
     ing.  Unlike telnet(1), nc scripts nicely, and separates error messages
     onto standard error instead of sending them to standard output, as
     telnet(1) does with some.

On 9/14/05, Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Philippe De Neve wrote:

> is there an easy way to copy udp payload data from a .cap file and paste it
> to a .bin file?
> Where can I find info on how the cap file structure looks like?

A ".cap file", if by that you mean a file whose name ends in ".cap", is
typically a file from one of a number of network analyzer programs
(Microsoft Network Monitor, the Windows version of Sniffer, etc.); which
one are you thinking of?

Or by ".cap file" do you mean a file in Ethereal's native format?  If
so, that's "libpcap format", so called because it's the format used by
the libpcap/WinPcap library, and is thus readable by and writable by any
application using libpcap/WinPcap.

The easiest way to write an application to do that would be to use
libpcap/WinPcap to do it.  You would then not have to write your own
code to understand the file format - and you would then not have your
program fail to work with the new pcap-NG file format once that's
supported by libpcap/WinPcap and by Ethereal.