Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Can I trust the timestamps

From: Tomas Brännlund (KI/EAB) <tomas.brannlund@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:59:29 +0200
Hello!
I wonder if someone could help me with an Ethereal timestamping problem.

We made some tests with a mobile terminal connected to a PC via USB. The mobile terminal was connected to internet. We ran ping tests from the computer and at the same time we logged the USB port with Ethereal. We ran the Ping tests from an MS-DOS window. When we compared the Ping result presented on the MS-DOS window with that logged with Ethereal there was a difference. It seemed like Ethereal truncated the result down to multiples of 10 milliseconds (rather: when taking the difference between ICMP request and response the difference was always multiples of 10ms). To give an example: the MS -DOS window could present results ranging from 90ms up to 120ms. There were no steps, i.e. all values between 90 and 120ms seemed to appear (e.g. 90ms,  92ms, 96ms, 99ms etc). When looking at the ethereal results, they showed either 80ms, 90ms or 110ms, in those exact steps. Could someone please explain this behaviour.

I sent this question a few weeks ago without any response. But I am still hoping someone can help me!

Thanks/Tomas Brannlund