Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal and scripting

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:54:46 -0700
David Meagher wrote:

Does any one know is it possible to do any level of scripting in ethereal?
i've got a few 100mb+ captures, which takes a while to filter through
to find what i'm looking for.

to do something like:
ip.addr == (select radius.Framed_IP_Address from radius where
radius.Calling_Station_Id == "1234567890")

That's not really an application for scripting; it'd just be a display filter

radius.Calling_Station_Id == "1234567890" and ip.addr == radius.Framed_IP_Address

but, unfortunately, we don't support comparing two fields in that fashion. I don't know whether it's difficult to support that or not in the display filter mechanism, but if it can be done without breaking other things, that's something we should probably do at some point.