Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] libpcap issues

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:54:48 -0800
Jeremey Stephens wrote:

That being said I am getting an error when installing
ethereal-base-1.10.0a-1.RH9.i386.rpm that says it can
not find libpcap.so.0.6.2

I have installed libpcap-0.7.2 according to the
instructions and it is my understanding that
libpcap.so.0.6.2 is supposed to be a part of this
package.

If by "the package" you mean the libpcap-0.7.2 package, then I wouldn't expect libpcap.so.0.6.2 to be part of that package - I'd expect libpcap.so.0.7.2 to be part of that package.

libpcap wouldn't be part of the Ethereal package.

Is there something I am missing?

You're probably missing an Ethereal package built by somebody who understands RPM dependencies. It sounds as if they might have built the RPM to require libpcap 0.6.2, rather than to require libpcap 0.6.2 *or later* (or not to *care* what version of libpcap is present, although the package might have been built on an OS with libpcap 0.6.2 and might require libpcap routines present only in 0.6.2 or later, in which case it might have to require 0.6.2 or later).

Unfortunately, I don't know where correctly-built RPMs can be found. I don't know who built the ones on the Ethereal site, but one problem with them is that they're RPMs for an old version of Ethereal - they're for 0.10.0a, but the current version is 0.10.9. You might try looking for newer RPMs on http://www.rpmfind.net - they appear to have 0.10.9 RPMs for various flavors of Red Hat/Fedora Core, and even if those RPMs might require specific versions of libpcap (if so, I'd like to hear the rationale for that), they might require the version you already have.

Perhaps we should just link to rpmfind.net rather than storing RPMs for old versions of Ethereal on the Ethereal Web site.