Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Portable version of Ethereal?

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 08:12:31 +1100
Jesse Millan wrote:

Can anyone give me some pointers to building a completely portable version of Ethereal? My goal is to have a CDROM that has all the files i.e. ethereal, winpcap, etc. that is necessary to run Ethereal. We do not have to install any files on the server itself.

Thanks for any info.

Is your objective to be able to run this on most hardware platforms?
Is rebooting the server acceptable?

IIRC winpcap has to be installed, and depending on circumstances (phase of the moon, how much money M$ made last week, ...), needs a reboot.

You would probably find you will need to compile for each *nix platform pointing the target at whereever the CDROM will be mounted to get the shared libs to work. e.g.

./configure --prefix=/cdrom/linux-x86

./configure --prefix=/cdrom/aix-power

                -- Dr. Who