Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Re: Question about [Malformed Packet: SNMP] in SNMP Get-Next-Re

From: Wes Hardaker <wjhns36@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 06:32:40 -0800
>>>>> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:37:05 +0800, jose.quinto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

jose> I've tried changing the size of the encoded length to 2 or more bytes
jose> but it sometimes produces a NOSUCHNAME error.

You'd need to change the value too and it all must be done within the agent.

jose> To Wes Hardaker, what do you mean the manager is broken as well?
jose> Im using my PC as the host and an the snmp monitor is
jose> SnmpMonitor version 1.0.4(2004/05/29) Copyright(C) 2003-2004 milu
jose> (http://www.milu.jp/SnmpMonitor/)

Well, "broken" was probably a bit strong.  Fortunately the agent is
doing the right thing and accepting packets that aren't properly
encoded.

The GETNEXT packets coming from SnmpMonitor shouldn't include a value
but it does.  It's including the value it pulled from the last answer
and re-inserting that into the next request which it technically
shouldn't do.

--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta