Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Is there any list of protocols ordered by levels?

From: "Olivier Biot (Ethereal)" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:45:09 +0100
From: Guy Harris

Gerald Combs wrote:

If each protocol were assigned to a layer, you could use Graphviz to
generate an Ethereal-specific protocol poster.

Luis Ontanon put an item in the wish list for a protocol poster - after all, you're not a *real* network analyzer until you have a protocol poster to give away. :-)

Do we want to generate it by hand, or automatically?

The former will take some time to be completed, but will probably be correct (although maybe not complete).

The latter will be more difficult to achieve as there's no simple way to make the distinction between protoA-over-protoA and concatenation of various protoA messages in a lower-layer PDU. Consider for example IP over IP and concatenated X11 operations. The protocol hierarchy stats are still confused when processing X11 data :)

Maybe we could add a mechanism in Ethereal to distinguish between the "tunnelling" and "aggregation" cases. Or maybe not.

Best regards,

Olivier