Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] packet/byte count

From: Alexandros Papadopoulos <apapadop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:58:34 +0200
Hello for the 3rd time (it's the last for today, I promise!)

I'm viewing some captured traffic (from a very simple session - wget
transferring a few files over HTTP), and I find the packet/byte count
information confusing.

Going to Statistics->Summary gives me a count that sounds reasonable
(831 packets, 351,829 bytes).

But, going to Statistics->Conversations (TCP tab) I see strange things:

A is the client running wget to download 5 files of 50KB each.
B is the webserver

I see just one TCP conversation of 13856 bytes transferred from B to A.

The IPv4 tab shows only 144 bytes transferred from B to A, and 13712
bytes transferred from A to B!

So, even though I tranferred 250KB+, the recognized TCP/IP conversations
only account for ~14KB.

What am I doing wrong here? The capture in question is at
http://members.hellug.gr/apapadop/ethereal/dump4.pcap in case it helps.

Thanks once again!

-A