Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Switching Question

From: Anthony Kahwati <a.kahwati@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:21:38 -0000
Title: Switching Question

Dear Ethereal
I have recently downloaded an evaluation version of the software for use on a Cisco switch. I am a little confused though and would like to ask your advice. My setup is as follows.

1 * Cisco Switch on 192.168.3.x private network (there are other switches on this network as well)
1 * VLAN on this switch
I have configured the switch with a monitoring port to catch all traffic, which it does, however, I also thought I would just make sure that a switch will not forward incorrect traffic, so I reconfigured the port as an access port to see if it will only forward traffic to the correct port, however, your software is still catching everything that goes through it. Do you have any advice, is there maybe a simple concept that I have missed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards

Anthony Kahwati
Systems Support Analyst