Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 802.1Q tag in packet capture columns ?

From: Ian Batterbee <ian.batterbee@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:07:21 +1300
Ian Batterbee wrote:

    Hi.. I would like to be able to disable the 802.1Q vlan ID value
as a column in the packet list window. Presumably you mean "enable", as there's currently no column type corresponding to VLAN ID, so there's nothing to disable.

Haha.. I had to read what I wrote 3 times before I realised what the mistake was..  I meant to write "display", not disable.. blame my fingers typing on automatic.

    For example, I'ld like to see the tag where I've written [300] in
    the line below: 1 0.000000 10.1.1.1 224.0.0.10 [300] EIGRP 74
    Hello Is there a way to do this.. and in fact, why is the 'format'
list so restrictive ? Column values are added when a particular developer implements and contributes code to do so, and no developer has done so for the VLAN tag yet - there's no official policy on column values, they just get added over time as people decide to supply code to do so.

Ah okay, I had assumed it was a more generic system where any of the known packet fields could be a column - that would be a nice feature if someone is kind enough to write it, as it would let people easily see values changing between packets without having to look in the packet decode window while scrolling up and down the packet list window.